The most popular veggie at this time of year HAS to go to the zucchini squash. We've all got loads of it. But what to make? You could go with bread, zoodles, sautéed, OR we could make Air Fried Squash Fries! Yes. Let's do that.
What Does An Air Fryer Do?
Although I am really opposed to hoarding small kitchen appliances, the air fryer has been one of the best purchases ever! I have this As Seen On Tv Air Fryer and got it at target. It was on sale and it's done a great job!
An air fryer essentially circulates the air all around the food to crisp it up! Like a small, powerful convection oven.
I've enjoyed it for quick cooking, perfect crisping, and using less oil to achieve a "fried" feeling. These squash fries are just one example of that!
How To Air Fry Squash
So the first step to getting that "crunch" you want in a squash fry is to dredge it. Dredging means to egg wash, flour coat and repeat to build a "crust."
This flour mixture will hold our yummy seasonings! You can really get creative here. I love lemon pepper and parmesan. So that's the combo we're going with today!
Once they are completely coated we'll spritz them with a bit of cooking spray. This helps really get that fried feeling without deep frying something in a tub of oil! Just a spray will get them nice and brown.
Air frying them is the simple part! I like to go at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes. About halfway through, remove the basket and give them a toss so they aren't sitting in the same spot the whole time.
Then enjoy with your favorite sauce!
What Dipping Sauce Goes With Squash Fries?
More Squash Recipes
Air Fried Zucchini Squash Fries
- 2 zucchini squash
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- cooking spray
- 1 egg
- Cut the ends off of the zucchini and slice the zucchini in half. Cut "fries" out of it, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick.
- Place in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk an egg and pour over the zucchini fries. Toss to coat.
- In a shallow dish combine panko, lemon pepper, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
- Dip each fry into the Panko and coat it completely.
- In the tray of the air fryer, arrange about 1/2 of the fries in there. Spray with cooking spray.
- Air fry at 400 for 12 minutes until golden brown. Repeat with the other half.
- Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce!