Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Curry
Sweet potato and butternut squash recipes are some of my favorites, and this curry is no exception.
This sweet potato and butternut curry is loaded with creamy chunks of sweet potato and squash plus savory chickpeas for a hearty vegan meal the whole family will love.
Selecting the Best Ingredients for Maximum Flavor
It's no secret that comfort food season is the BEST season. Butternut squash, sweet potato, and chickpeas are the perfect combination to create a delicious comfort meal.
Chickpeas are a lean protein option to create this vegan curry. Maybe even more important than the veggies is the curry powder itself.
I searched high and low for a curry powder that my husband enjoyed. I found one at Sprouts and use it so often now. For this sweet potato butternut squash and chickpea curry, you'll also need...
- butternut squash
- sweet potato
- vegetable broth
- coconut milk
- white onion
- diced tomato
- garlic powder
- curry powder (this is the one we like!)
If you enjoy this recipe you'll definitely want to try out my Coconut Lime Shrimp Curry with Orzo and use the same curry spices.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Curry
This is actually a very simple recipe. I feel like anything with the word "curry" gets a bad wrap for potentially taking hours to make. Not true!
The curry powder is so flavorful and strong that it really takes no time at all to whip up.
- Prep the veggies smaller than you think you should! By cutting the squash and sweet potatoes smaller, you ensure minimal cooking time to get them nice and tender.
- This says "30 minute meal" but feel free to prep ahead of time and let it simmer for an hour or so before dinner! It is a great vegan meal prep option because the flavors come together more and more over time.
- Garnish is key to the presentation here! Drizzle with extra coconut milk for richness and GORGEOUSNESS.
- While this sweet potato and winter squash curry has most of the ingredients in season in the fall/winter - check out the freezer section for some already chopped up butternut squash all year round!
How to Cut Butternut Squash for Curries, Soups, and Stews (The Easy Way)
So one thing I always get questions about is HOW to cut butternut squash. I have a very easy video on my Instagram showing how I do it....
How to Cut Butternut Squash - A video!
This curried butternut squash and sweet potato soup does not need to be scary to prep. All you need is a potato peeler, a serrated knife, and a cutting board!
- Cut the small ends off of the squash so you can set it up on it's end nicely.
- Start peeling the skin off with the potato peeler while standing it up on the cutting board.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Slice into half moon shapes and then dice!
How to Serve & What to Pair with Your Sweet Potato and Butternut Curry
The colors in this vegan sweet potato and butternut squash curry are absolutely beautiful and we can really make it the star of the dinner table with a few easy additions!
Garnishes for curried squash and sweet potatoes include cilantro, extra chickpeas, coconut milk or coconut cream.
Adding a sprinkling of these things can elevate this dish from a bright orange soup to a stunning dinner!
Side dishes might be just as important as the main! They need to be supportive and complimentary but not over-take the dish.
I would recommend...
- Harvest Spinach Salad - it also includes butternut squash and a tangy balsamic dressing!
- Roasted Ranch Brussels - and easy sheet pan side dish that is a great contrast to the creamy curry.
- Herbed Bread Dipping Oil - you just can't go wrong with some spices and a touch of balsamic all over some crusty bread as a side dish.
Craving More Sweet Potato or Squash Recipes?
Of all the sweet potato and butternut squash recipes I’ve tried, this curry definitely ranks in my top 3. That said, both can stand alone as the stars of their own dish.
Try a few and see what I mean!
- Creamy Pumpkin Chili Over Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Healthy Buffalo Chicken and Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Garlic Hasselback Butternut Squash
- Dairy-Free Butternut Squash Soup
- Cheesy Squash Bake
Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Curry
- large skillet or heavy bottom pot
- 1 butternut squash diced (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can of chickpeas
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 a white onion diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder we like to use a yellow curry powder
- In a large skillet or heavy bottom pot saute the onion for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the spices to get them nice and fragrant. Cook 1 minute.
- Add the broth, diced tomatoes, squash, and sweet potato.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to medium heat and let cook until the squash and potatoes are tender. (about 15-20 minutes if you cut them small enough)
- Transfer the mixture to a blender and add the coconut milk. (reserve a little coconut milk for topping)
- Blend until nice and smooth then add back to the skillet or pot.
- Stir in the chickpeas and simmer for another 10 minutes.
Table of Contents
- 1 Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Curry
- 2 Selecting the Best Ingredients for Maximum Flavor
- 3 How to Make Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Curry
- 4 How to Cut Butternut Squash for Curries, Soups, and Stews (The Easy Way)
- 5 How to Serve & What to Pair with Your Sweet Potato and Butternut Curry
- 6 Craving More Sweet Potato or Squash Recipes?
- 7 Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Curry