Growing up my mom would make a version of these BBQ Smashed Potatoes for dinner and we loved them! These potatoes are super easy to make as a side dish and are even kid friendly!
What kid doesn't like potatoes?! And they can definitely help add the toppings and drizzle them in their favorite barbecue sauce.
Table of Contents
How To Make Smashed Potatoes
The base of these bbq potatoes are smashed baby potatoes. I like to roast baby red potatoes in the oven with olive oil for the perfect SMASH!
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Drizzle baby red potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes until very tender.
- Take a potato smasher or the back of a wooden spoon and smash the potatoes flat.
- Top with toppings and enjoy!
BBQ Smashed Potato Ingredients
The best toppings for these BBQ Smashed Potatoes are endless. I like a mix of cheese, bacon, and herbs. Here's what you'll need to make them...
- baby red potatoes
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- shredded cheddar cheese
- turkey bacon
- green onion
- your favorite barbecue sauce
Types of BBQ Sauce
There are many types of bbq sauce and depending on where you live, you might be more familiar with different ones!
These smashed potatoes are excellent with a sweet and smokey bbq sauce like KC Masterpiece.
Did you know different parts of the country make their sauce differently? For instance, Kansas City BBQ sauces tend to be sweeter and sauces from the Carolinas are more vinegar-based.
Another one that stands out is the Alabama white barbecue sauce! Give them all a try and see what you think.
What To Serve with BBQ Smashed Potatoes
These easy smashed potatoes are best served with other summertime favorites like grilled chicken or pulled pork.
They are the perfect side dish to bring to a cookout and I promise they will be a hit!
BBQ Smashed Potatoes
- 12-14 baby red potatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices of turkey bacon cooked and diced
- 2 green onions chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup your favorite barbecue sauce I used KC Masterpiece!
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- On a baking sheet, drizzle olive oil all over the baby potatoes.
- Season them with salt and pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until tender.
- Smash them with a potato masher or the back of a spoon until they are flat.
- Top with cheese, bacon, green onion, cilantro, and barbeque sauce!