Elevated, elegant, delicious and EASY, One-Pot Chicken Gnocchi Bake is packed with flavor and is the perfect dinner party meal. This dish has all my favorites: gnocchi, sun-dried tomato, burrata cheese, and tender chicken.
Plus, can you beat that it's made in one pan?! Nope! So let's grab our ingredients and get to cooking.
Why This Meal Is The BEST!
Chicken gnocchi bake is one of my go-to recipes for many reasons. It's one of those recipes that looks fancy and will definitely impress any dinner guest, but in reality is super easy to execute.
Not to mention the ingredients are affordable and that also makes it a great 30-minute weeknight dinner for the family.
Chicken thighs are one of the proteins my whole family enjoys. It is almost impossible to overcook them and with the bone in, skin on thighs it adds so much flavor.
Cheesy Gnocchi And Chicken Ingredients
- Chicken thighs (bone in, skin on)*
- chicken stock
- sundried tomatoes
- asiago cheese
- olive oil
- salt, pepper, rosemary
*If you'd rather have boneless chicken thighs, check out my tips on deboning chicken at home! Save some money and buy a large pack of thighs and debone them at home.
Where To Buy Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is really easy to find in the grocery stores. I've found it with the dried pastas as well as in the refrigerated section.
I bought mine at Trader Joe's and it's also really easy to cook.
For this recipe you'll just need one pan! Make sure it is oven safe so we can bake the chicken and gnocchi.
What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is an Italian rounded dumpling made from potato, semolina, flour, egg, and sometimes herbs!
It's rolled into little bite sized pieces and boiled for just a bit until it's tender and ready for eating.
In this recipe we're adding it to our chicken skillet with a little bit of broth and the outcome is absolutely delicious.
How To Make Chicken Gnocchi Bake
- Season and sear the chicken on each side.
- Set aside the chicken and saute the onion, garlic, spinach and tomatoes.
- Add in the gnocchi, chicken broth, chicken, asiago cheese, and burrata then pop it into the oven.
- Bake until the gnocchi is tender, chicken is cooked through, and burrata is warm and melty.
This simple, 30-minute meal has so much richness thanks to all that cheese and the tangy sun-dried tomato. If you enjoyed it, you'll definitely love my Rosemary White Wine Chicken Skillet!
Swaps and Substitutions
If you need some ideas for subs, here is what I'd suggest...
Swap spinach for kale to make a heartier dish.
Swap potato gnocchi for cauliflower gnocchi for something different.
Swap asiago cheese for parmesan cheese.
Swap in thyme, oregano, or basil for the rosemary.
FAQ & Tips!
Can you Bake Gnocchi Without Boiling?
Yes! We are adding in a bit of chicken stock to our recipe so as it bakes, it will soak up that liquid and so there is no need to boil it prior to baking.
Can You Make Gnocchi Bake Ahead of Time?
Sure! Just put the cover on the skillet after you've seared the chicken and added all ingredients back into the pan. Simply refrigerate and remove 30 minutes prior to cooking.
Can You Use Cauliflower Gnocchi?
Yes. Cauliflower gnocchi would be a great substitute in this dish. You can even put it in there completely frozen and let it defrost in the sauce!
Cauliflower gnocchi likely won't soak up as much of the stock, so you may consider adding less chicken stock when baking.
What To Serve With Gnocchi
Cheesy chicken gnocchi bake is a hearty and rich dish. Serve it with something fresh like a big salad, air fried green beans or roasted artichokes!
Cheesy Chicken Gnocchi Bake
- 2 cups gnocchi
- 4 chicken thighs bone in, skin on*
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup sundried tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3-4 balls of burratta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Over medium high heat, add the tablespoon of olive oil and sear the chicken skin side down for 6-7 minutes until brown.
- Flip the chicken and cook 5 more minutes.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, spinach and tomatoes for 2 minutes until spinach is wilted.
- Add in the gnocchi, chicken broth, chicken, asiago cheese, rosemary, and burrata then place in the oven at 350 degrees.
- Bake for 15 minutes until the gnocchi is tender, chicken is cooked through, and burrata is warm and melty.