Appetizer, lunch, best game day side dish...these Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels will be the most versatile recipe in your book! They are the perfect combo of creamy cheese, tangy buffalo sauce, and that funky blue cheese!
There are fewer things in this world I love more than the combination of Franks buffalo sauce and blue cheese. I could eat it on EVERYTHING and when all rolled up in a tortilla for the perfect bite - I'm in heaven every time.
Why This Buffalo Chicken Pinwheel Recipe Works
Aside from the flavor punch this appetizer packs, there are so many reasons you'll love making it.
5 ingredients. You just can beat the ease of a 5 ingredient appetizer! Comes together in minutes and pleases a crowd.
Protein packed! While the cream cheese and buffalo sauce is great, this recipe is also loaded with lean shredded chicken and it's actually a great source of protein for a quick lunch!
Budget friendly. If you are needing to make it for a crowd, you can easily make a large quantity of these for a relatively low price.
So here is what you'll need to make the best shredded chicken and buffalo pinwheels...
- Shredded chicken - feel free to use rotisserie chicken or use my fool proof way to cook chicken in the air fryer!
- Tortillas - use any type of tortilla you'd like, however for purposes of rolling them up be sure to use ones that have flour. But you can use low carb or whole wheat.
- Cream Cheese - obviously one of the reasons this is SO good is that creamy cream cheese. Cream cheese chicken roll ups are really one of the best make-ahead lunches.
- Franks Hot Sauce - if you have a particular buffalo sauce you like, use it but I'm a sucker for Franks hot sauce.
- Crumbled blue cheese - I know not everyone is a fan of this so you can omit if you like, but I think it adds something unique to these chicken pinwheels.
- Green onions - adding a bit of freshness to the whole thing, add the green onions!
Notes on Buffalo Sauce
Buffalo sauce is typically tangy with a little kick which is why it's a favorite for chicken wings and more! (It also goes great with my Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes!)
It has a lot of uses from dips, to marinades, and more...if you are looking for unique ways to use your buffalo sauce try this out!
If you aren't a spice lover, not to worry, the creaminess of the cream cheese really tones down the spice and leaves behind the delicious tang we all love in buffalo sauce.
Like I mentioned above, my favorite brand to use is Frank's Hot Sauce for these buffalo pinwheels.
The Best Tortillas For Pinwheels
Aside from using the best buffalo sauce, the buffalo chicken pinwheel tortillas really matters! They may be the next most important element in the recipe.
Use tortillas with some flour content. If you use a full corn tortilla it is very likely to fall right apart when you tightly roll up the chicken pinwheels.
- flour tortillas
- whole wheat tortillas
- 50/50 flour + corn tortillas
- spinach tortilla wraps
Another hack I have when creating these buffalo pinwheels is to microwave the tortillas for about 10 seconds prior to filling and rolling. This softens them up and prevents the likeliness of them ripping apart.
As far as size goes, use burrito size for this. It takes about 3 large burrito sized tortillas for these tortilla roll ups with chicken.
How To Make Buffalo Chicken Roll-Ups
Buffalo chicken tortilla roll ups are honestly SO easy to make. Rosie loves helping me out with the easy chicken pinwheel recipes.
Just a few steps stand between you and this delicious buffalo chicken appetizer...
- Shred the chicken and place in a bowl with the buffalo sauce. Toss well.
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, combine the cream cheese, blue cheese, and ½ of the green onions.
- Add the shredded chicken to the cream cheese mixture and combine.
- Place the tortillas on a large plate and microwave them for 30 seconds to soften them.
- Take ½ cup of the chicken mixture and spread it all over 1 tortilla.
- Sprinkle some of the remaining green onions on top of the chicken mixture.
- Tightly roll up the tortilla and place on a plate seam side down.
- Repeat with the remaining 2 tortillas.
- Place the buffalo chicken rollups in the fridge for about 10 minutes just to firm everything back up.
- Remove and slice tortilla chicken roll ups into ½ inch thick circles.
- Feel free to drizzle a little extra buffalo sauce and blue cheese crumbles. Enjoy!
To make your chicken roll ups with cream cheese even easier to make, use these tools...
- Use a hand mixer to shred your chicken in seconds!
- A serrated knife makes slicing these roll-ups so much easier.
- Glass mixing bowls for mixing up your buffalo chicken rollups filling.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheel Recipe Pro Tips
After making my buffalo chicken tortilla roll ups quite a few times, I have some tips, tricks, and ideas to make your experience easier!
Let your shredded chicken cool down before mixing with the cream cheese chicken roll up filling.
Refrigerate the rolled up pinwheels to make the cream cheese mixture firm up a little bit before slicing them to keep the shape better.
Make These Pinwheels Ahead of Time
These are super easy to prep ahead of time, up to 2 days.
If you prepare them ahead of time here is what I suggest doing...
- Up two days before serving you can fully assemble them and keep them in an airtight container in the fridge.
- OR prep the chicken + cheese mixture and keep in an airtight container and roll them right before serving if you'd like to prep these more than 2 days in advance.
By waiting to roll them up right before serving you can keep these buffalo chicken wraps with cream cheese from getting soggy in the fridge.
Like I said before you can serve buffalo chicken appetizers as a side, lunch, game day dish, or side to a salad!
I love to drizzle a little extra buffalo sauce on top for tang as well as some extra blue cheese crumbles.
If you'd like to serve this as a side dish, try serving it with a big salad like this Fattoush Salad.
Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels with Blue Cheese
- 1 hand mixer
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 serrated knife
- 3 burrito size flour tortillas
- 3 chicken cooked breasts shredded
- ½ cup Franks Hot Sauce
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 5 green onions diced
- In a mixing bowl combine shredded chicken and franks hot sauce
- In a separate mixing bowl, using a hand mixer, whip together the cream cheese, blue cheese crumbles and diced green onions.
- Stir in the chicken mixture and combine well.
- On a large plate, microwave the tortillas for 30 seconds to soften them.
- Spread ⅓ of the mixture in each of the tortillas and tightly roll. Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes to firm up.
- Slice into pinwheels and serve with extra blue cheese and hot sauce. Enjoy!