This blog is sponsored by Honeysuckle White® Turkey, all thoughts and opinions are my own
Walking Tacos In a Bag
Football season to me is more about the foods, drinks, and experiences of tailgating vs the actual football. Who is with me? This year, let lean Honeysuckle White ground turkey be the star of the show with these Walking Tacos in a Bag!
You can pick up some delicious Honeysuckle White ground turkey at Walmart, Kroger, and Super Target!
I attended Kansas State University and every weekend my parents would come up and host a tailgate and the walking tacos were ALWAYS a hit.
I knew I needed to share our family recipe with you all. And you know we are going to keep it lean and full of protein with some delicious ground turkey.
Honeysuckle White® Lean Ground Turkey
One of my absolute favorite proteins I grab while grocery shopping is my Honeysuckle White turkey!
Ground turkey is an amazing way to incorporate lean and healthy protein into weeknight dinners, tailgates, and more.
It's an easy swap for any ground meat you may use for meatballs, tacos, and burgers for a lower in fat option.
Honeysuckle White turkeys are raised by independent family farmers, with NO growth-promoting antibiotics, added hormones, or steroids*. It's a protein you can feel good about feeding the whole family.
Ingredients You'll Need
For these Walking Tacos in a Bag grab the following ingredients...
- Honeysuckle White ground turkey
- your favorite taco seasoning OR steak seasoning works great too
- olive oil
- mini corn chip bags
- kidney beans
- red onion
- shredded lettuce
- a tomato based salad dressing (optional but totally delicious, we use Dorothy Lynch)
- optional: cheese
How To Prep Tailgate Food Ahead Of Time
So for tailgates, it's super important to have that food prepped and ready to roll as soon as you pull up to the parking lot!
To prep this meal ahead of time here's what I suggest.
- Cook the turkey ahead of time (right before you leave or the night before) and tightly wrap in a foil pan and store in the cooler on the way to the tailgate. Be sure to cook your turkey to an internal temperature of 165 degrees farhenheit.
You can pack this up hot and keep in warm in the cooler (no ice) OR reheat it over a grill at the tailgate.
- Place all "topping" ingredients in their own tupperwares and also place in the cooler on the way to the tailgate.
- Set up buffet style and let people stuff their taco bags with what they want!
More Turkey Recipes
If you love this recipe for tailgates or even just a fun weeknight dinner for the family, you'll need to give these other turkey recipes a try using Honeysuckle White turkey!
- Bruschetta Turkey Meatballs - these would also be an amazing tailgate food. Simply store them in the crockpot and serve!
- Skinny Turkey Taco Skillet - One of my FAVORITE 30 minute meals, this lean ground turkey skillet meal is another taco Tuesday favorite.
- Italian Turkey Burger - arguably one of the best turkey burgers ever! Use ground turkey to make your own patties and spice it up with Italian dressing.
Walking Tacos in a Bag
- 2 lbs Honeysuckle White ground turkey
- 4 tablespoons your favorite taco seasoning OR steak seasoning works great too
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6-8 mini corn chip bags
- 2 cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 red onion diced
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 3 to matoes diced
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- 1 bottle of tomato based salad dressing optional but totally delicious, we use Dorothy Lynch
- In a skillet heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Brown the ground turkey and when it's almost fully cooked add in the taco seasoning. You may need to add a pinch of salt if your seasoning mix doesn't contain salt. Cook turkey to an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
- Open all mini bags of chips and top with the ground turkey, lettuce, beans, onion, tomato, and cilantro.
- Drizzle with the dressing and enjoy!
- Walk around with your tacos in a bag if enjoying at a tailgate OR if you are enjoying these at home, dump all ingredients into a salad bowl and eat!
*Antibiotics responsibly used only when needed for treatment or prevention of illness. Turkeys raised with no added hormones or steroids. Federal regulations
prohibit the use of hormones and steroids in poultry)