Take two of the worlds greatest foods, nachos and burgers, and combine them! Of course I put my healthy spin on it and these Black Bean Nacho Burgers were born.
An easy-to-make black bean patty topped with delicious nacho fixings satisfies my craving for that delicious bar food experience right at home. All done in 30 minutes, these burgers will be a regular on the dinner rotation. No doubt!
The Best Healthy Nacho Burger
From the patty to the toppings, the best healthy nacho burger has mouthwatering ingredients. Get your grocery list ready!
- Black beans
- Chili Powder
- Salt and pepper
- Brioche buns
- Cashew queso
- Red onion
- Pickled jalapeno
- Pico de Gallo
Grab these ingredients and let's make some healthy black bean burgers.
Making Black Bean Burgers
Now here is the fun part, making and assembling the nacho burger. Black bean patties are not as hard to make as you might think.
- In a food processor combine drained black beans, cooked quinoa, cumin, chipotle peppers, salt, pepper, oregano, and chili powder.
- Blend until it forms a crumbly paste.
- Take the burgers and using a 1/4 measuring cup, gently form patties.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, heat some olive oil.
- Place the burgers in and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Gently flipping them once.
- One cooked, place on a brioche bun, and add toppings!
Tips For Making Black Bean Burgers
I have a few tips on forming your burger patties so they come out evenly cooked and delicious!
Use a measuring cup to scoop them. This will ensure the same size patty for every single one!
Don't rush the cooking process. You want them to be perfectly browned on each side to ensure they stick together during the cooking.
Don't be afraid to season them! Give the mixture a taste before cooking. Don't be afraid to add a touch more salt or pepper to your liking.
Nacho Burger Toppings
So the name pretty much gives it away. Top these burgers just like you would top your favorite loaded nachos!
I love cashew cheese, fresh pico, avocado, red onion, and jalapeño! But the topping combinations are truly endless.
For more topping ideas for nachos, check out my Creamy Chicken Sheet Pan Nachos.
Sides To Serve with Black Bean Nacho Burgers
So you've got your main dish of Black Bean Burgers, I would suggest serving it with...
- Jalapeno Popper Creamed Corn a delicious and bright side dish with sweet corn and a creamy sauce all spiced up with jalapeño.
- Roasted Corn and Quinoa Salad is a zesty side salad that is loaded with veggies and lean protein.
- Skinny Fiesta Corn Dip is creamy and sweet with corn and Rotel that make it a touch spicy. It's a lighter version of the classic corn dip that would go great with Nacho Burgers.
- Skinny Spicy Margarita is the ultimate drink to serve with any Mexican fare! It's spicy and bright drink with a bubbly twist.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long to Cook A Black Bean Burger?
Black bean burgers will never firm up the way a true beef burger does, so just warm them through and crisp the edges! 3-5 minutes per side should be perfect.
How To Store Them?
In an airtight container in the fridge. Simply reheat in a skillet or microwave to warm through.
Are Black Bean Burgers Healthy?
YES! So much protein and you can load these up with vegetables that make the perfect, well-rounded meal.
Can You Substitute Ground Beef For Black Beans?
Yes. This would be absolutely delicious with any kind of ground meat: beef, chicken, pork, or turkey. It's not necessary to put it all in the food processor through. Simply mix with your hands.
Black Bean Nacho Burger
- Cast iron skillet
- Food Processor
- 1/4 Measuring Cup
- 1 14 oz can black beans drained, rinsed, and dried
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 5 brioche buns
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- 1 mashed avocado
- 5 tbsp cashew queso Siete or Trader Joe's is delicious!
- 5 Romaine lettuce leaves