3 Ingredient Smoked Pulled Pork
I think you know by now I'm the queen of the 30 minute meal, but there is just nothing like smoking some meat for HOURS that really gets your mouth watering. Do you know how to smoke pork? Is it intimidating? Let me break it down with this easy smoked pulled pork.
How To Smoke A Pork Shoulder
This is the cut of meat you make on Sunday and eat off of throughout the week. It can go a LONG way and feed many mouths. It's so easy, however it does take some time! 10 hours to be exact...
To smoke a pork shoulder you will need a grill with a smoking box or a smoker! A smoking box is something you can place flavored pellets in and light up in your gas grill to turn it into a smoker! Which is what I'll be doing.
We are going to be using cherry wood (or cherry flavored pellets!) Fruit woods do very well for smoking meat, if you use something like hickory it can get over smoked and become bitter.
How To Prepare A Pork Shoulder For Smoking
Next, you'll prepare you're meat, then toss it on the smoker for about 4-5 hours until it reaches 170 degrees.
So a pork shoulder comes bone in or bone out. Either is fine for this recipe! This easy smoked pulled pork only has 3 ingredients:
- Yellow Mustard
- Your favorite salt based grilling rub (the one we used had garlic, onion, salt, pepper, paprika)
- And the pork!
- First to prepare it you will trim off excess fat, then place it with the fat cap (white part) right side up.
- Cross hatch cut across the entire piece, about ¼ inch down.
- Rub with mustard, sprinkle with seasoning then let it rest for about 10 minutes until it looks damp. At this time it's ready to be smoked!
When is my Pork Shoulder Done?
We will start by heating our smoker or grill to 250 degrees. Place your prepared pork shoulder on and keeping an eye on the temperature, watch until it gets to 175.
It could stall around 160-170. But no worries! Keep it cooking and when it reaches 175 pull it off.
At this point, wrap it up in foil and bring it inside. Preheat your oven to 250 degrees and place your meat in. Cook until the internal temperature is 200. Remove and let it rest for an hour.
Shred and ENJOY!
More Pork Recipes
Easy Smoked Pulled Pork
- Grill and smoking box
- OR smoker
- 7 lb pork shoulder bone out!
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- ¼ cup salt based rub look for one with garlic, onion, salt, pepper, paprika!
Light The Grill or smoker
Prep the meat
- trim the fat off of your pork shoulder (NOT the fat cap!)
- cut cross hatches into the fat cap diagonally each way.
- rub with mustard and sprinkle with rub.
- let rest 10 minutes.
- We'll start smoking the meat now, so add your cherry wood or smoking box!
- Take the meat to the smoker and place on the grates.
- You will cook this for about 5 hours until it reaches an internal temperature of 170.
- When it hits this stage, wrap it in tin foil and bring it inside to put in your oven.
- Place it in an oven heated to 250 for and additional 5 hours until it reaches 200 degrees.
- Remove and and let it sit for an hour.
- Open the foil and let it cool a bit, then pull the pork!