Fall is my favorite time of year - it's officially pumpkin season, and the fall flavors (and scents) take over the world for goood! Ah, I love life in the fall! This creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce combines earthy sage, savory Parmesan, and pumpkin puree is fall in a bowl!
So, to celebrate the uninterrupted supply of pumpkins, I experiment with a lot of pumpkin recipes. This beautifully orange fruit (oh, it's a fruit!) is loaded with healthy vitamins, and it tastes delicious when cooked. You can't say no to it!
If you're looking forward to adding a yummy and easy pumpkin sauce recipe to your fall menu, look no further than this creamy sage pumpkin pasta sauce recipe! And if you enjoy this pasta, try out my Chicken Bacon Sweetcorn Pasta or Parmesan Pesto Pasta!
Why You'll Love This Vegetarian Dinner Recipe
It's a simple recipe. This recipe is really easy, and you will be done in just 30 minutes! You don't need a lot of ingredients, and most of them can be found at your local grocery store.
It's so easy to customize. Whether you want to make it creamier, spicier, or healthier - you can do it all! It's a great way to use your own creativity and experiment with flavors.
It's vegetarian. This creamy pumpkin sauce is vegan-friendly - perfect for those who are looking for some delicious plant-based meal ideas.
Serve it with butternut squash, and watch everyone (including yourself) go gaga!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe
- Olive Oil - Use butter in place of olive oil if you want. Keep the quantity the same.
- Yellow Onion - This sweet onion is great for sauteing!
- Garlic Cloves - Always use fresh garlic cloves.
- Pumpkin Puree - Not pumpkin pie filling! If you're using canned pumpkin puree, get one that says "100% pumpkin". You can also do a homemade pumpkin puree. It's super easy!
- Parmesan Cheese - You can use cheddar cheese for a divine melt-in-the-mouth experience!
- Milk - You need a liquid product to make the sauce creamy. Some people also use heavy cream!
- Pasta - Use a fun pasta shape like ziti or penne. Find cooking instructions below!
- Reserved Pasta Water - Oh, this is important. Don't forget about this!
- Dried Sage - Dried sage has a more intense flavor than fresh sage. If you're using the latter, you'll have to adjust the quantity accordingly.
- Spices - You'll also need nutmeg, paprika, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
I've included the quantities and other details in the recipe card below.
Making the Creamy Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
This sauce is easy as can be! It's done in 1 skillet in less than 30 minutes, so let's make it!
- Take a large pot (or Dutch oven) and heat olive oil over medium-high heat Once the oil heats, sauté onions in it until translucent. It should take about 2-3 minutes.
2. Now, add minced garlic to your sauteed onion and cook for a minute more.
3. Next, stir in pumpkin puree, sprinkle your spices, and reduce to medium heat.
4. Add pasta water, parmesan cheese, milk, and red pepper flakes next. Stir till your cheese melts, and you get a creamy sauce.
5. Add cooked pasta.
6. Dress the sauce with fresh sage leaves and black pepper. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks
This creamy sage pumpkin sauce is an easy fix. But to make sure you nail every bit of it, I have some failproof tips for you! Check them out.
- To make the pumpkin pasta sauce vegan, replace regular milk with unsweetened almond milk, full-fat coconut milk, or vegetable broth. You can also use Greek yogurt and nutritional yeast.
- To tweak the sauce's texture, just add a little splash of water or vegetable stock.
- Use a teaspoon of garlic powder if you're out of garlic cloves.
- Use your favorite pasta, but only cook it to al dente. The rest of the cooking will happen when you add it to the creamy pasta sauce.
- Never use pumpkin pie filling for this recipe, guys! I know I've said it before - but this is crucial! Pumpkin pie filling is pumpkin puree, sugars, and spices - that's not what we want!
Let's Tweak a Bit...
This yummy pumpkin sauce is super versatile. You can do so much more than just mix it with some type of pasta. Here, let me show you how...
Add meat - Add shredded or cubed chicken, pork, or beef to this creamy pumpkin sauce. It'll give it a whole new flavor and make it even more delicious!
Throw in some veggies - Bell peppers, mushroom, broccoli - everything works.
Make some cheesy garlic bread on the side - Serve it with creamy sauce. Your guests will love it!
Use it to make pumpkin lasagna - use the same recipe; just swap your tomato paste with pumpkin sauce, and you're good!
Use in mac 'n' cheese - Just replace your regular white sauce with this creamy pumpkin pasta sauce. It's a nice twist to the classic dish!
Use it as a dip - Serve with breadsticks or crackers. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
It's so easy peasy. Roast a pumpkin in your preheated oven (at 425 F) until it's tender. Now, simply puree it in a high-speed blender. Done! It might add a few extra minutes, but that authentic pumpkin flavor is worth it!
Yep! Keep it in an airtight container, and it'll survive five more days. You can also freeze it for about three months.
You know the drill - thaw in the fridge overnight, then heat it in a saucepan on low heat. Add a splash of your chosen liquid if needed. Ta-da!
Related Pumpkin Recipes
If you tried this Creamy Sage Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
Creamy Sage Pumpkin Pasta Sauce Recipe
- 1 skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- One 14oz can of pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried sage
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups of 2% milk
- 10 oz pasta penne, ziti, or a fun shape!
- 1 cup reserved pasta water
- n a large pot heat the olive oil over medium high heat and saute the onions for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- While you begin the sauce, bring a pot of water to a boil and cook your pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Add in the minced garlic to the onion and cook 1 more minute.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree and spices then reduce to medium heat.
- Cook for 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Stir in the parmesean cheese, milk, and red pepper flakes. Stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy.
- Stir in the 1 cup of reserved pasta water then add in the cooked pasta.
- Top with fresh sage and black pepper. Enjoy!