Just like takeout, but better! This spin on Chinese Orange Chicken has a fun spin to it with some tangy cranberry mixed in! This Cranberry Orange Chicken is a fun and delicious way to make your very own takeout!
What's In Orange Chicken?
Orange chicken gets its signature orange color from nothing other than orange juice! It also usually has a "crust" on the chicken made from a combination of corn starch and flour.
The sticky orange sauce is made from orange juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, vinegar, and sugar! But for this version, we are going to add in some tangy cranberry glaze at the end.
What Kind of Chicken to Use for Orange Chicken?
You can definitely use thighs or breast for this cranberry orange chicken recipe. Just cut it into 1 inch cubes and you are good to go! I used thighs just because I find them a bit juicier.
Healthy Chinese Takeout
So I of course had to lighten these up a bit so we will just lightly toss the chicken in a bit of cornstarch before cooking.
I think this gets the little "crust" you would normally find in orange chicken, however it's not overpowering! This is still a very light dish that is perfect for a 30 minute weeknight dinner.
Instead of serving over rice, think about serving this with some broccoli, cauliflower rice, or over a crunchy salad!
If you like this Cranberry Orange Chicken you might also like my Egg Roll in a Bowl or Simple Seared Ahi Tuna!
Why Make Take Out At Home?
This is a great alternative to heading out the door for dinner. A couple of reasons I love doing "takeout night" at home include...
You can make this together! How romantic?! Or include the kiddos because the orange color is so fun - they will have a great time.
It's healthier - you know exactly what is going into this Cranberry Orange Chicken and that can give you peace of mind.
It's faster - I can almost promise you from start to finish this will take you less time than ordering takeout!
30 Minute Cranberry Orange Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs cubed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 2 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- optional 2 cups cooked white rice for serving
- In a large mixing bowl combine the cubed chicken thighs, ½ cup corn starch, 2 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Toss until every piece of chicken is completely coated in the corn starch.
- Over medium high heat, heat the coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chicken pieces to the skillet and leave for about 4-5 minutes on the first side so it gets a nice crust on it.
- While that is cooking, in a mixing bowl combine the rest of the ingredients and whisk too combine. This will be our sauce.
- Flip the chicken pieces over and continue to cook 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and it will start to thicken almost immediately.
- Turn down the heat and stir until ever piece of chicken is coated in the sauce.
- Let it cook for another 5 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165F.
- Serve with white rice or broccoli and enjoy!
Leave a Reply