A quick breakfast idea that is super flavorful are these delicious Pesto Eggs! Pesto Egg Sandwiches are my new go-to with a fresh herb-y punch and melty cheese, how can you go wrong?!
TIK TOK Pesto Eggs
So I'm sure we've all fallen victim to trying at least ONE Tik Tok viral recipe. These pesto eggs were made famous just like Dalgona Whipped Coffee and Feta Pasta.
Essentially you use the oily pesto as you would olive oil or butter and fry the eggs in it.
What you end up with are deliciously herbed, fried eggs that are great for layering on top of a breakfast sandwich!
Pesto Egg Sandwich Ingredients
To make my version of pesto eggs on a breakfast sandwich you will need...
- English muffins
- provolone cheese
- chili onion crunch oil (optional but SO delicious)
I like adding the extra crunch and spice of the chili onion crunch. It elevates the dish to an ultimate brunch experience.
If you love the hot chili oil on these, you will love my crispy Trader Joe's Chill Onion Crunch Chickpeas.
How To Fry an Egg
So to really make this dish perfect, you'll need to know how to fry an egg. Luckily it's super simple! You will just need to know if you like your egg over easy, medium, or hard.
To fry an egg you will need oil and an egg. Here we are using pesto as the oil since a good portion of pesto is olive oil.
So go ahead and heat the oil over medium high heat and crack the egg on top. The edges will begin to set first then begin cooking into the center.
For over easy fried eggs cook for about 3 minutes then flip the egg and cook for 30 more seconds.
For over medium cook 3 minutes then flip and cook for an additional minute or so.
For over hard cook for 3 minutes and then cook for another 2-3 minutes until fully cooked through.
Low Carb Breakfast Ideas
Personally I love this breakfast because it is low carb and that is how I like to start my day! It has a dose of healthy fats, protein, and a lower carb option with the English muffin.
Other low carb breakfast ideas that you may like include...
Pesto Egg Sandwich
- 4 eggs
- 4 english muffins cut in half
- 4 tablespoons of pesto
- 4 slices of provolone cheese
- 2 tablespoons chili onion crunch
- In a nonstick skillet heat up the 4 tablespoons of pesto over medium-high heat.
- Lay out the english muffin slices and top one half of them with the provolone cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melted. Set aside
- Crack the 4 eggs into the skillet over the pesto.
- Cook for 3 minutes then flip them over and cook to your desired doneness. I like over medium, so an additional 1 minute.
- Top the english muffins with the egg and a ½ tablespoon of chili onion crunch. Enjoy!