Need something that will absolutely warm you soul and your bowl!? This earthy 20 minute lentil risotto is the ticket.
Sage, mushroom, and a little cashew milk give this delicious mix some depth that can only truly be enjoyed wrapped in the coziest blanket sitting in front of your favorite window.
This dish is also dairy free! I used a splash of cashew milk to make this 20 minute lentil risotto feel really creamy but also keep it light.
No Rice Risotto
No rice in this risotto? NOPE! We're actually making a faux risotto using this delicious plant based protein: lentils.
Lentils offer a really nice texture, meatiness, and boost of protein to this dish. It takes the place of rice perfectly except you don't have to spend 20 minutes stirring!
What Kind Of Lentils Work Best For Risotto?
I absolutely love brown lentils for this risotto. They are quick cooking, have a mild taste, and the color just looks really nice with the mushroom mix.
You could always opt for ANY lentil color you choose. Just note the cooking time may be different! Green lentils taking the longest at about 40 minutes, red lentils clock in at 30 minutes, and lastly the brown lentils take about 20 minutes!
What To Serve With Lentil Risotto
This 20 minute lentil risotto makes the perfect side dish to a lot of meals...
- I would serve this along side something like my Boursin Spinach Stuffed Pork .
- It would also pair well with Rosemary Crusted Salmon
- Lastly I think it would be the perfect Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich side dish!
Mushroom sage and lentil risotto would compliment any holiday dinner. It would be an amazing vegan option to serve your guests!
20 Minute Lentil Risotto with Mushroom and Sage
- 1.5 cups brown lentils
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 sage leaves finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup cashew milk or heavy cream
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot add olive oil or melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the brown lentils, vegetable stock, and sage. Cook until liquid is almost completely absorbed. About 10 minutes
- Add in the mushrooms, cashew milk, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.