One of my guiltiest pleasures in the kitchen is canned clam chowder. There I said it! I knew I needed to create a 30 minute dinner version that is lighter and LOADS more delicious than that canned stuff. Here is my Healthy 30 Minute Clam Chowder
One Pot Meal
One pot meals are the best for 30 minute meals and soups are no exception! Everything in one pot simmering away for a while is all this clam chowder takes.
Sauteeing the veggies, adding bit of stock, and your clams! In 30 minutes you'll have a classic New England clam chowder, only lighter!
What Clams are Best for Clam Chowder?
This is really up to you and your budget! Canned clams are an easy to find, affordable option.
If you are wanting to really make this a special meal, go ahead and shell out (pun intended) for the fresh clams from your local fish market. I happen to love our local Sprouts for our fish!
So while either type of clam is acceptable, the ONLY acceptable bread to serve on the side is this no-knead bread that I made during my stint of stress baking! (Grab the no-knead bread recipe on this blog!)
How To Make Clam Chowder Healthy
I'm lightening this clam chowder up by a quick trick: instead of using cream, blend up 1 can of white beans with the liquid until its smooth and creamy! It adds protein and helps to thicken the soup without adding dairy.
It's my trick for ultra creamy soups, just like this White Chicken Chili.
Clam chowder is low carb and easy so enjoy with no guilt!
PIN IT FOR LATER!
Healthy Homemade Clam Chowder
- cutting board
- large pot
- 1 8 oz Bottle of clam juice
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 can white northern beans
- 2 4 oz cans of chopped clams
- 3 russet potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 tablespoons of salt
- ½ tablespoon of white pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 3 stalks of celery
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- Chop the onion, leek, and celery.
- Add to the pot over medium high heat with a little olive oil.
- Cook for 5 minutes until they become tender.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir to coat the veggies.
- Blend 1 can (not drained) of white beans in a blender cup.
- Add clam juice, chicken stock, and white bean mixture as well as the bay leaf into the pot.
- Dice and stir in the potatoes.
- Stir in the chopped clams.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 15 -20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Enjoy with bacon and chives as a topping