Needing a tasty dinner in a pinch? These Freezer-Friendly White Chicken Enchiladas with a green Chile sauce, greek yogurt, and rotisserie chicken are done in 30 minutes and are mouthwatering!
A creamy greek yogurt and green Chile enchilada sauce, cheese and chicken all wrapped up in a tortilla, what's not to love?
Why You'll Love These
This may be one of my all time favorite baked dishes because it starts off with this sauce! From the filling to the green enchilada sauce, there's so much to love about these enchiladas. Even picky eaters love these creamy enchiladas.
Easy to customize! Don't have green chiles? Use a can of Rotel! Or use ground turkey instead of shredded chicken if you don't have it.
Family Favorites. This easy recipe makes a large pan of enchiladas that I love to enjoy half for a weeknight dinner then store half in the freezer for another easy dinner the whole family will love.
Done in 30 minutes! This quick dinner uses a rotisserie chicken, so it cuts down on the cook time! Rotisserie chicken is the star of many of my recipes, like Rotisserie Chicken Casserole, Panera Chipotle Chicken Sandwich , and Chicken Salad with Grapes!
A great freezer meal. always make these enchiladas for friends who need a pick me up, check out more freezer friendly meals for new moms in this blog post!
If you are looking for a dairy free enchilada recipe, this fun take on enchiladas would be perfect for you! My Enchilada Meatballs are creamy with a hint of coconut milk!
Easy Enchilada Ingredients
Creamy, spicy, and comforting, the homemade sauce starts off with butter and flour, stir in green chilis and chicken stock, swirl in the tangy greek yogurt and you've got it!
- Shredded Rotisserie Chicken - any flavor from the grocery store is fine! However if you have any leftover chicken, turkey, or ground beef feel free to swap that in.
- Green chilis - this gives it a little kick without making it too spicy, plus a little tang!
- Greek Yogurt - the creamy element comes in thanks to the greek yogurt, plus a little extra protein!
- Tortillas - I've used everything from flour tortillas, corn tortillas, to the low carb option, take your pick!
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Blend - This is also another ingredient you can easily swap for your favorite cheese. I like a classic Mexican blend but you could definitely use pepper jack cheese or Monterey Jack cheese for the cheese mixture inside the soft tortillas.
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken Broth
Don't forget your favorite toppings like fresh cilantro, green onions, extra cheese, and salsa! Full instructions and quantities are listed in the recipe card below!
Substitutes and Variations
I'm sure you've heard of using sour cream in white enchilada sauce, but I like to use full fat, whole milk greek yogurt. Swap in sour cream if you prefer! A sour cream sauce would be delicious with these enchiladas.
- Swap out the protein. Any protein you like can be used in these enchiladas. Try swapping in ground beef, ground turkey, shredded turkey, or leftover chicken breasts.
- Include your favorite beans inside. It would be delicious to add black beans or refried beans to the chicken mixture filling to these enchiladas.
- Tortilla options are endless. Flour or corn tortillas? Whichever you choose, don't forget to warm them up in the microwave for 10 seconds to make them more pliable.
- Make a red sauce by stirring in a can of Rotel to make it more of a typical chicken enchiladas recipe.
- Mix the chicken with cream cheese and taco seasoning for an ultra rich filling with great flavor.
Step by Step Instructions
I love this creamy white chicken enchiladas recipe because it comes together easily, just like a casserole! This will quickly become one of your favorite enchilada recipes.
- Start the homemade sauce by melting butter over medium heat then add the flour. Stir well.
- Slowly add chicken stock while stirring to thicken the sauce. One cup at a time.
- Continue adding stock and stirring in the hot skillet until it reaches the consistency of gravy.
- Stir in the green chiles.
5. Stir in the greek yogurt to complete the creamy greek yogurt sauce.
6. Combine the cheese mixture with the shredded chicken in a large mixing bowl.
7. Add some of the filing to the center of a tortilla.
8. Begin rolling the enchiladas by folding in the sides
9. Then fold up the bottom of the tortilla
10. Continue rolling until you have something that looks like a burrito.
11. Add some of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a baking dish.
12. Place the enchiladas seam side down and top with the remaining greek yogurt sauce and some extra cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
What to Serve with White Chicken Enchiladas
There are endless possibilities when it comes to serving up these creamy chicken enchiladas...
- Serve them with classic sides like tortilla chips and salsa, guacamole, and queso.
- They would also pair nicely with a cream cheese corn dip
- Don't forget the Spicy Margaritas!
- Try serving them with some delicious Peruvian Beans! Made right in the instant pot.
These white chicken enchiladas with greek yogurt freeze exceptionally well!
In fact they are a part of my Stock the Freezer blog! They are a great meal to take to someone who just had a baby or to keep in your freezer for a rainy day.
The best way to freeze them is to separate the enchiladas into equal servings and freeze in airtight Tupperware containers. Defrost in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy!
White enchilada sauce starts with a roux and builds using chicken stock and sour cream (or greek yogurt in our case!) and I like to stir in green chilies or garlic powder, chili powder, or any spices you like!
Traditional, authentic enchiladas are made using corn tortillas. You may use whatever flavor or type of tortillas you like! In my opinion, after making this recipe dozens of times, I like flour or low-carb tortillas because they are easier to roll up for those classic rolled enchiladas!
YES! You can make these and store them unbaked covered with aluminum foil in the fridge for up to 3 days (or in the freezer for 6 months) before cooking. OR you can fully bake these and store them in the freezer in an airtight Tupperware container.
If you tried this White Chicken Enchiladas or any other recipe on my website, please leave a 🌟 star rating and let me know how it went in the 📝 comments below. Thanks for visiting!
White Chicken Enchiladas with Greek Yogurt
- 1 sauce pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- 6 flour or corn tortillas
- 2 cooked chicken breasts can be leftover or shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken!
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- cilantro green onion for garnish
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the butter then stir in the flour.
- Continue stirring to form a roux. The flour mixtures should turn a golden brown.
- At this point slowly, 1 cup at a time, add in the chicken stock. Stirring in between each addition to let it thicken up.
- After all 3 cups are in it should start to look like gravy. If it is still a little thin, continue cooking until thick and bubbly.
- Add in the diced green chiles, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine then remove from heat and stir in the greek yogurt.
- Set aside.
- Chop or shred the chicken breast.
- In the middle of each tortilla spread out equal amounts of cheese and chicken in each.
- Roll them up by folding in 2 sides, then starting at the open side begin rolling. The sides should remain tucked in and hold all of the contents in.
- Place each rolled enchilada in a 9x9 baking dish with the seam side down.
- If you have any extra filling, add it to the baking dish on top or to the sides of the enchiladas.
- Pour over the enchilada sauce.
- Pre heat your oven to 350 and bake the enchiladas for 25 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish with cilantro or green onion. Enjoy!