Needing a tasty dinner in a pinch? These Freezer-Friendly White Chicken Enchiladas with greek yogurt are done in 30 minutes and are mouthwatering!
A creamy greek yogurt and green Chile enchilada sauce, cheese and chicken all wrapped up in a tortilla, what's not to love?
White Chicken Enchilada Sauce with Greek Yogurt
This may be one of my all time favorite baked dishes because it starts off with this sauce!
Creamy, spicy, and comforting, this white enchilada sauce starts off with butter and flour, stir in green chiles and chicken stock, swirl in the tangy greek yogurt and you've got it!
If you are looking for a dairy free enchilada recipe, this fun take on enchiladas would be perfect for you! My Enchilada Meatballs are creamy with a hint of coconut milk!
Greek Yogurt Vs Sour Cream in White Enchiladas
I'm sure you've heard of using sour cream in white enchilada sauce, but I like to use full fat, whole milk greek yogurt.
Obviously don't get a flavored yogurt or you will be very disappointed! I like the flavor that this plain greek yogurt brings to the table.
Its slightly tangy, creamy, and greek yogurt has fewer calories as well as more protein than sour cream.
How to Roll Enchiladas
I love baking enchiladas because it comes together easily, just like a casserole!
The only tricky part is actually rolling the enchilada up. You want to keep all of the goodies inside while it bakes!
I like to fold the sides in, and on the sides you didn't fold in, begin rolling. This tucks in all of the chicken and cheese and almost looks like a burrito!
Place seam side down in the baking dish and pack them in tightly.
Flour or Corn Tortillas?
If you don't care about a perfectly rolled enchilada, go for corn.
If you want easy to make, perfectly rolled enchiladas, go for flour.
If you end up using corn tortillas, gently warm them in the microwave first to help ensure they don't break while rolling them up for your freezer White Chicken Enchiladas with Greek Yogurt.
Freezing White Chicken Enchiladas
These white chicken enchiladas with greek yogurt freeze exceptionally well!
In fact they are a part of my Stock the Freezer blog! They are a great meal to take to someone who just had a baby or to keep in your freezer for a rainy day.
Simply separate the enchiladas into servings and freeze. Defrost in the microwave when you are ready to enjoy!
When you are ready to eat these White Chicken Enchiladas, try serving them with some delicious Peruvian Beans! Made right in the instant pot.
White Chicken Enchiladas with Greek Yogurt
- 6 flour or corn tortillas
- 2 cooked chicken breasts can be leftover or shredded chicken from a rotisserie chicken!
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 4 oz can of diced green chiles
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- cilantro green onion for garnish
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat, melt the butter then stir in the flour.
- Continue stirring to form a roux. The flour mixtures should turn a golden brown.
- At this point slowly, 1 cup at a time, add in the chicken stock. Stirring in between each addition to let it thicken up.
- After all 3 cups are in it should start to look like gravy. If it is still a little thin, continue cooking until thick and bubbly.
- Add in the diced green chiles, salt, and pepper.
- Stir to combine then remove from heat and stir in the greek yogurt.
- Set aside.
- Chop or shred the chicken breast.
- In the middle of each tortilla spread out equal amounts of cheese and chicken in each.
- Roll them up by folding in 2 sides, then starting at the open side begin rolling. The sides should remain tucked in and hold all of the contents in.
- Place each rolled enchilada in a 9x9 baking dish with the seam side down.
- If you have any extra filling, add it to the baking dish on top or to the sides of the enchiladas.
- Pour over the enchilada sauce.
- Pre heat your oven to 350 and bake the enchiladas for 25 minutes until bubbly.
- Garnish with cilantro or green onion. Enjoy!