Chipotle at home? YES PLEASE! Grab a few simple ingredients from your pantry and let's make a Healthy Burrito Bowl with pan-seared Southwest Shrimp!
This bowl has so many ways to customize and it's packed with protein to get you through a lunch hour or delicious Friday night dinner at home.
Burrito Bowl At Home
Making burrito bowls at home are a fabulous way to save some cash on eating out AND they are great for meal prep.
Rice, beans, corn, and protein are so easy to prep once and enjoy all week. Simply separate into their own Tupperware and mix as needed.
They can easily be customized with whatever protein you like, today we're making Southwest Shrimp!
Making your own southwest seasoning at home for your shrimp, chicken, or steak couldn't be easier! You may even have most of these spices already in your kitchen pantry!
Southwest Seasoning ingredients include...
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
This is a great all purpose seasoning but really brings the shrimp to life and compliments the rest of the bowl.
Other Protein Options For Healthy Burrito Bowl
I mentioned above how customizable these at home burrito bowls can be. That means swapping in proteins of your choosing.
Chicken breast or thighs, flank steak, even salmon would be great options to include in your version of a burrito bowl!
Cilantro Lime Rice
The star of this show other than the southwest seasoned shrimp is definitely the cilantro lime rice!
It's what we've all come to know and love in those classic Chipolte burritos and bowls. It couldn't be easier to make at home with just white rice (or brown rice/cauliflower rice) and fresh cilantro!
Ingredients You Need For Burrito Bowls
Pantry staple ingredients are used in this recipe to help cut down on trips to the store and cut down on cooking time!
- Black Beans
- Green Chiles
- Southwest Seasoning (or taco seasoning!)
- Green Bell Pepper
Tips For Storing Burrito Bowls
Whether you choose to meal prep these on a Sunday and eat all week or just storing some leftovers, here are my tips!
An airtight Tupperware is essential! The rice, beans, corn, and avocado can all be stored together but I would store the protein separately and combine when you are ready to eat.
Keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Great for Meal Prep!
Looking for a protein packed lunch or dinner idea to prep once? This is it!
Adding different toppings each time can make it interesting and you are still getting loads of protein and some delicious cilantro lime rice.
Pack these up in your favorite meal prep containers. I love this glass set of storage containers from Amazon. Keeps everything fresh and the ingredients separated.
shrimp with southwest seasoning
southwest shrimp in a skillet with green peppers Southwest shrimp, green peppers, and green chiles in the skillet Cooked Southwest Shrimp in a skillet
Healthy Burrito Bowl with Southwest Shrimp
- 2 lbs shrimp
- 1.5 cups white rice brown rice, or cauliflower rice
- 2.5 cups water
- ½ cup cilantro
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 1 4oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- salsa verde
- Start boiling water in a sauce pan to prepare the rice. Add rice and cook per the instructions on the package.
- Once it's cooked, stir in cilantro and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all southwest seasoning spices and the shrimp. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook the shrimp and add in the diced green chiles and bell pepper.
- Cook for 2 minutes on one side and flip the shrimp over. Cook an additional 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Prepare your bowl by adding rice and topping with equal amounts of corn, black beans, and shrimp in each bowl.
- Top with salsa verde and avocado. Enjoy!