Today I’m turning Taco Tuesday skinny. I thought for the fun of it I’d take this skinny turkey taco skillet recipe and stuff it in a pepperThis is a definite staple recipe in my house because I always have these pantry essentials on hand and I bet you do too!
One thing my little girl will never turn down is black beans. Ever since she could eat she has been a black bean eating machine! So, anything that includes them is a sure hit. This dish is made many times a month in our house. Plus, depending on the salsa you chose it really can taste pretty different each time you make it.
These skinny turkey tacos are a one skillet dish. One pan = less time doing dishes. Which doesn’t matter to me because shortly after getting married, I was told by my clean-freak husband I was no longer allowed to do the dishes. Oh well, not a huge loss for me. I can cook up a storm but when it comes to cleaning, not so great. So whoever is your resident dish do-er will thank you for this dinner!
I would serve it up in a bowl, in a lettuce wrap, or tortilla! This actually freezes really well too, so don’t be afraid to make extra and freeze for later. So let’s get cookin!
Skinny Turkey Taco Skillet
- 1 Lb ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 /2 cup black beans
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup of your favorite salsa
- ½ cup brown rice or quinoa
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 8 oz water may need more depending how how fast your rice/quinoa cooks in the liquid
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- shredded cheese for topping if you'd like!
- Heat up olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high then add your turkey & brown
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, cayenne, chili powder, and garlic. Stir to combine
- Add corn, black beans, and rice/quinoa, tomato sauce, salsa, and water
- Heat through until mixture is bubbling then turn heat to medium-low and simmer until rice or quinoa is cooked!
- Serve up in a bowl topped with cilantro and cheese or stuff in a roasted bell pepper!