There is nothing quite like that first taste of pumpkin spiced ANYTHING in the fall. I'm a fan of a sprinkle in my coffee, in breads, but let's talk about the unsung hero of the pumpkin world: PUMPKIN BUTTER. While this isn't a true butter, this spiced pumpkin date spread will change your life!
In my humble opinion, pumpkin spread toast is the NEW avocado toast. You heard it here first folks! It's warm and inviting, not too heavy, and the dates totally bring out the deep, rich flavor of pumpkin once warmed up in a sauce pan.
Healthy Homemade Pumpkin Spread
This homemade spiced pumpkin date spread is a spinoff of my skinny pumpkin pie filling. It's surprising light in texture but packs huge, deep flavor. HOW do I do it?
You'll want to cook your pumpkin and dates down before blending them into this light and creamy spread. By cooking them we deepen the flavors. Bold and spicy!
A few ways to do this (crockpot, instant pot, etc..) but you know I'm a 30 minute dish kind of gal, so we're going with the good old fashioned sauce pan.
How To Use Pumpkin Spread?
While "on anything" may be too broad, it's true! This spiced pumpkin date spread is super versatile and can be used in savory and sweet!
This would be divine slathered on a toasted bagel, stuffed into mini hand pies (like these hand pies from The Fit Peach!) or even served with a savory fall charcuterie spread!
The possibilities are endless. One reason I love the many uses of this spread is that its only sweetened with dates. So it's not "hurt your teeth" sweet.
More Fall Dessert Recipes
If you are interested in more warm-your-soul recipes you may want to check out...
- Apple Pie Granola - a delicious and easy homemade granola that is perfect for kids!
- Apple Cheddar Crumble Pie - a great use of my apple pie granola, topping this DELISH apple crumble pie.
- Baked Berries and Brie - so simple, so satisfying and GORGEOUS. Baked brie with berries
- Pumpkin Carrot Cake - Is it breakfast? is it dessert? Who knows & who cares. I'm eating ALL of it.
PIN FOR LATER
Spiced Pumpkin Date Spread
- sauce pan
- Food Processor
- 6 dates, pitted
- ½ can pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- In a saucepan, combine dates, pumpkin, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Cook this down until the dates are soft, mashing them with a back of the spoon to break them down a little bit.
- Cook on medium for 7-10 minutes.
- One it starts to turn darker in color transfer the mixture into a food processor and add cream cheese.
- Whip together for 1 minute.
- Serve over crusty bread with chopped walnuts!