When I think of a quintessential Middle Eastern food, my mind immediately goes to hummus! Hummus can be a side to share or a main meal in itself. So within our church family and my husband's family it's a dish that is always present at the table. This red pepper hummus recipe is my favorite way to make it at home.
Tons of flavor combinations are possible and it can be used as a topping, spread, dip, the list goes on!
It's versatility makes it a staple in my house and once I started making myself there was really no turning back! This spicy red pepper hummus utilizes one of my all time favorite ingredients, Chili Onion Crunch from Trader Joes. Have you tried making your own hummus? It's a game changer due to the freshness and it is also cost effective!
Chickpeas are an amazing, versatile, and budget friendly source for lean protein. This is just one of the many reasons I always have a few cans on hand. Those canned chickpeas are actually perfect for making a quick at-home hummus.
Once you find the perfect balance of other ingredients (garlic, lemon, salt, tahini) I promise you will not be turning back to store bought. Personally, I like a little something extra in the hummus whether its roasted garlic or like roasted red pepper hummus recipe.
That's how this dish was born! And as far as the other ingredients go, I like to use Soom tahini!
Why Spicy Red Pepper Hummus?
I've had plenty of roasted red pepper hummus before, but I wanted to add a spicy kick that also looks absolutely show stopping when served! Topping hummus is an art in itself (at my house at least!) and the glistening oil in the Chili Onion Crunch paired with the bright red chili flakes and crunchy onion pieces truly highlight all the amazing flavors that are inside the hummus.
This can also clue in your guests to what you are actually serving them! When they see those chili flakes and chickpeas topping the red pepper hummus there will be no mistake.
What to Serve With Red Pepper Hummus
Like I mentioned before, this can be a side or main dish. Over Christmas my mother-in-law made a hummus topped with a big salad in the middle and I absolutely loved the presentation! People served themself salad & hummus and it was topped with chicken.
So that is how I like to serve if its for dinner (Hey 30 minute meal!). If I'm serving as a side, Trader Joes Plantain Chips are an exceptional thing to dunk in this delish dip!
Spicy Red Pepper Hummus
- 1.5 cans of Chickpeas drained
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup tahini I like Soom brand
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 roasted red peppers
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup of ice water
- 3 tablespoons chili onion crunch
- extra chickpeas for topping
- In a food processor toss in your drained chickpeas, tahini, garlic, salt, and lemon juice, red peppers, and chili flakes. Let that process until it starts to get smooth and creamy. Once it come together stream in the cold water to thin it out just a bit.
- Turn off the processor and give it a taste for the salt / lemon level. Add more to your liking!
- Spoon into a large bowl or platter and top with 3 tablespoons of the Chili Onion Crunch oil and a little bit of the extra chickpeas on top.
- Enjoy with a large arugula salad or plantain chips.