What's better than waking up in the morning to a PRE MADE, hearty, delicious breakfast?! Not much in my opinion. Especially during the chilly winter months, this Savoury French Toast Sausage Bake recipe will warm your soul and your kitchen.
Savoury French Toast?
YES! Take all of the wonderful, rich and custard-y texture of traditional French toast but nix the cinnamon/sugar and add sausage + peppers. It's slightly sweet from the bread , but absolutely delish!
How To Make A French Toast Baked Casserole
So this savoury French toast recipe simply starts with cubing an entire loaf of brioche bread. 1 inch cubes are the perfect size! Slice the bread into sticks then again in the opposite direction to create cubes.
Brown some hot breakfast sausage along with diced peppers and mix that with eggs, milk, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
Pour over cubed brioche bread in a baking dish and let it sit anywhere from 20 minutes to overnight!
Bake and EAT!
Why are Breakfast Casseroles So Great?
Other than the fact that you can make it ahead of time or right before cooking, having something that is hearty, filling, and super yummy to feed the whole family is really a game changer!
Busy mornings? Yep. Christmas Day? You bet! Just because? DUH. These are only a few of the occasions that it would be super helpful to have a ready-to-go casserole in the fridge.
These also store really well for enjoyment all week!
How To Store Sausage Breakfast Bake
This is best eaten in the first 3-4 days if kept in the fridge. However if you store it in the freezer it's good for a few months!
Simply pop in the microwave to re-heat!
What Else Can I Put in A Savoury French Toast?
Other ingredients that play well with hot sausage include peppers, onions, or asparagus, or any extra cheese you need to use up! Or if you don't have any sausage, turn this into a Savoury French Toast with Bacon!
Savoury French Toast Sausage Bake
- 1 lb spicy ground sausage
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 eggs
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 loaf Brioche Bread
- In a large skillet brown the sausage and cook the peppers all together
- When it is cooked through, remove and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess grease.
- Dice up an entire loaf of brioche bread into 1 inch cubes.
- In a greased 9x9 baking dish, add the bread cubes.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and slightly cooled sausage and pepper mix.
- Pour directly over the bread cubes in the baking dish.
- Press the bread into the dish so it gets completely submerged in the liquid.
- Let this rest for at least 30 minutes but up to 8 hours. Tightly cover with tin foil.
- When you are ready to bake, heat the oven to 350 and bake it with the foil on for 40 minutes.
- It should be golden brown when you remove the foil. Enjoy!