Healthy Breakfast Cookie
Well we may not be "on the go" as much lately, but that DOES NOT mean I don't need a fast breakfast to grab. In between feeding the dogs, chickens, toddler, and husband in the morning these Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies are the perfect bite of sweet.
These breakfast cookies are actually loaded with gluten free oats and zucchini. Those are the 2 main ingredients! Sweetned with a bit of pure maple syrup and some chopped figs, it's a treat that feels indulgent but is really made with real foods.
Not only do these breakfast cookies use up an entire zucchini... you can't even taste it! It adds moisture to the cookie and really plays well with the oats.
Breakfast cookies to me have to pair perfectly with coffee. That's why I've added in some cinnamon and vanilla. Pop one of these in the microwave while you pour yourself a cup of Joe and enjoy.
Tricks to Making Zucchini Cookies
So as you probably are aware, zucchini have a ton of excess water. After grating the zucchini I recommend putting it into a kitchen towel and squeezing out as much water as possible.
While we do want the zucchini to keep the cookies moist, we don't need them falling apart on us! So giving it a good squeeze will help a lot.
How To Make Oat Flour
If you don't have oat flour just laying around your house (I didn't....) you can easily make it!
Grab your blender cup and 1 cup of oats. Pulse for about 15 seconds until it turns into a powder and you've got homemade oat flour! I love making this fresh each time I need it.
Breakfast Cookie Add-Ins
So for extra sweetness I added some chopped figs. I love the little crunch it provides! Here are some other add-ins you could totally use:
- chocolate chips (I love these from Enjoy Life Foods)
- apple chunks
Save this recipe for later!
Zucchini Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie
- cookie sheet
- mixing bowl
- Cookie Scoop
- 1.5 cup oats
- 1 cup oat flour
- 6 figs chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- 1 zucchini
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg
- Pre heat the oven to 350
- Using a grater, shred the 1 zucchini
- Squeeze out excess water from the grated zuchhini using a dish towel. Wring it tightly!
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine egg, vanilla, maple syrup, and coconut oil. Whisk to combine
- Add in the oat flour, oats, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, figs, and shredded zucchini. Stir to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop 12 cookies on to a lined cookie sheet. Bake for 13 minutes.
- Serve immediately or freeze for later!
Leave a Reply